Our school has a duty to safeguard everyone within its community and promote the welfare of our pupils.
Prevent is about safeguarding people and communities from the threat of terrorism.
It aims to stop people becoming terrorists or supporting terrorism.
Link: What is prevent?
The Prevent strategy
- Responds to the ideological challenge we face from terrorism and aspects of extremism, and the threat we face from those who promote these views;
- Provides practical help to prevent people from being drawn into terrorism and ensure they are given appropriate advice and support; and
- Works with a wide range of sectors (including education, criminal justice, faith, charities, online and health) where there are risks of radicalisation that we need to deal with.
At Bude Infant School we share a common understanding that safeguarding vulnerable people from radicalisation is no different to safeguarding them from other forms of potential harm.
As a result, any concerns about a child’s welfare (including the threat of radicalisation) are recorded and shared with the school’s safeguarding team.
Link: Prevent Duty Guidance
How does channel work?
Channel works by partners jointly assessing the nature and the extent of the risk and where necessary, providing an appropriate support package tailored to the individual’s needs.
The three key stages of Channel are:
- Identify individuals at risk of being drawn into terrorism;
- Assess the nature and extent of that risk; and
- Develop the most appropriate support plan for the individuals concerned.
Link: What is channel?